[at-l] Headlamps

> 1.  I like my Petzl headlamp, which I found on the AT in '99.  I have
> recently seen hikers in the shelters with smaller ones that have a bluish
> light.  Are they better than the Petzl?

The one I have is a Petzl.  It has three LED lamps and is powered by three
AAA batteries and weighs about three oz.
A lot of hikers used them this year and they are becoming a proven piece of
equipment, although I've had some problems with the on/off switch on mine.

I have also hiked with nothing more that a Photon II microlite.  I used one
exclusively for 2 years, and night hiked - without a moon - about 5 miles
total on the AT in southern Maine with one.  About 1/2 oz., and they seem to
burn forever.  I attached a small alligator clip to mine and can attach it to
the bill of my cap, the seam inside my tent, the edge of my tarp, or a nail
in a shelter.  Great illumination for cooking, but sucks for reading unless
you're up close.  I also put a couple pieces of glow tape on all my
flashlights so I can find them in the dark if they're dropped or mislaid.

> 2.  Does anyone have a web address for the Superior Trail along Lake
> Superior?

Do you mean the North Country Pathway, or the Pictured Rocks National
Lakeshore?
I don't think I've ever heard of the Superior Trail, although that doesn't
mean much.

Ron