[at-l] Sleeping bags

I started in mid-March with a 20 degree lite-loft bag (though I think
calling it "loft left" is a more appropriate term ;-) that should have been
retired years before my thruhike.  I used a silk liner to help extend the
range of the bag.  That combination worked well for me.

There were certainly a couple of nights when I wore all of my clothes and
might still have been a bit cold, but the -20 bag would have been extreme
overkill and I was not in any danger - just a bit of discomfort.  Plus, I
was there a month earlier than you and the temps will be warmer for you.  I
think you would quickly get tired of hauling the extra space and weight of
the -20 bag and you'll end up being too warm much too often with it.

If you have someone supporting you during your hike, switch out your bags to
the 40 degree bag for the summer months.  Get your heavier bag back in
Glencliff, NH - before you enter the Whites.

Have fun,

Mara