[at-l] Harpers Ferry, etc

Hi -

I've been here in Harpers Ferry for the past several days doing my map
project. Spent a bit of this evening at the ATPO with the GIS guys talking
about how these maps could be combined (over-layed) in countless ways with
many of the other AT mapping projects that the ATC/Park Service has been
doing lately. The next big step in all of this, before anything else can
happen, is to scan them. Anyone have access to a large scale scanner (that
can accommodate 14 by 17 size) who lives somewhere in the Harpers Ferry to
Maine corridor? The possible applications and general scope of this project
seems to be widening all the time, more than I ever thought it would.

Anyway, as all this was going on, outside our window in Lower Town (the
historical district) they have turned the whole area into an elaborate Civil
War era movie set. It's a big Hollywood production with Robert Duvall
starring in it. They've added several more buildings to the down town area
(you know - those fake buildings with nothing behind the front wall but a
support structure), and the streets are covered with some sort of dirt/mulch
substance. There were even white feathers all over the place from a snowy
scene filmed earlier in the day. There are dead bodies all over the place
(dummies apparently) and people milling around in their period costume. Film
crew people with walkie talkie/radio type things are scurrying about trying
to coordinate the few hundred people on the site. As night falls there's a
massive spotlight that brightens the whole end of town. You can see it for
miles around, and it even lights up the entire mountain on the south side of
the river. Quite an interesting spectacle actually. I wonder how much
they're paying the park for all of this. We wandered right onto the set
(they weren't filming at that moment) and it seemed that everyone there had
some sort of name tag/ID thing, so I don't know if we shouldn't have been
there...  The only other time I had ever been even remotely as close as this
to a movie set was on a class trip to NYC in November of 1983 when our bus
drove right by one of the sets for Ghost Busters (I believe on central
park's west side). Tonight was a much more extensive encounter.  Anyway,
forgot what the name of the movie is . I'm sure we'll hear about it soon
enough.

That's about it for now. Take care,

wc