[at-l] Persistent Stupid Hiker Tricks (PSHT)

My problem is that I don't seem to learn from my SHTs and tend to repeat
them, now qualifiying them as Persistent Stupid Hiker Tricks.

I somehow manage to become rather engrossed in blindly hiking along a
path that seems like it should be a continuation of the trail, even
though the trail has either been relocated, or never went that direction
in the first place.  I even manage to step over the usual hiker warnings
of others who place a number of sticks or small logs across the trail to
prevent me from falling victim to my own stupidity.  My most memorable
occasion of this was in the Smokies (NOBO) when I should have turned
toward Icewater Shelter (like the guidebooks indicate), but continued
straight for about two miles on Boulevard Trail instead.  I even had the
audacity to argue with other hikers I met that they were the ones who
were on the wrong trail.  They said something like, "Go ahead.  See how
well you like staying at Mt. LeConte".

My most recent gufaw in that regard was north of Rausch Gap shelter
where the trail had been relocated.  Wasted about an hour figuring where
I went wrong on that one, only to find a pile of logs across the trail
where I had failed to make the turn.

Who needs white blazes?  Right?