[at-l] Mislabeling bottles and hiker dumb "mistakes"

OK, I'll play.

With 50 + years in the woods I couldn't list them all (or pick my dumbest
move), but most of mine involved leaving something behind -- at home, in the
car/truck, at a shelter, etc.  Of all the "things" some of the dumber were:
the boots, at home; most of the food, in the cooler in the car; the fuel
bottle, at a shelter; the water filter, somewhere (???); etc.  Generally,
the results of the contempt (which familiarity and routine breeds),
overconfidence, and/or being rushed -- "Every is still in the bag.  Let's
go."

Speaking of overconfidence, probably my dumbest (or most dangerous) move was
when I got badly dehydrated on a solo weekday trail maintaining trip.  To
this day, I don't know how I got back down to a water source.

Some of the dumbest thing that I have seen in the woods were -- a bear bag
hung directly above the tent (in a bad bear area, yet), a guy who had tried
to climb out onto a rock ledge, which he knew was ice covered, to catch the
view, a guy who had mountain biking down a trail and over a twenty foot drop
(he had no map, instructions, and had never been on the trail before),
another biker who had come down hill full speed into a bad bad green brier
thicket, a number of folk w/o compasses or maps (and w/ them but no idea how
to use them) who were miles from where they thought they were, folks trying
to whitewater with only minimal flatwater canoe experience.  Yes, I have
hauled/helped a few casualties out of the woods -- luckily most were still
alive.  And yes, I have been helped out, myself, when I broke a leg (after
having bivouacked overnight on the trail until someone came along), but that
was a different story.

One of my favorite dumb scenes was one year the Washington Post ran an
article on where to enjoy the Fall colors w/o the SNP traffic jams.  They
listed a number of great viewsheds with driving direction to the trailhead,
but w/o any walking distance or elevation change information from that
point.  You should have seen/heard the folk who were totally unprepared to
walk any distance when a few yards from the car it dawned on them, or they
met hikers and asked for information.

Chainsaw