[at-l] Light weights [was wwildware sale]

My Tikka is 2.5 oz on my scale.

Which is about the percentage difference in much of my summer vs. winter
gear and that is how I manage many items -- of course YMMV.

Lights (head or hand held)  are a good example.

In the winter when getting caught short by darkness is more likely and is
potentially a much bigger problem, and when you may need to do unplanned
night hiking, and when cold make the AAs a much much better performer than
the AAAs, and when the increased hours of darkness make the amount of light
used greater; I use my Petzl Micro (at 4.9 oz on my scale).  In general, I
would not use a Tikka were I to plan to do much night hiking.  IMHO you need
a strong narrow spotlight focus, not the Tikka's fixed floodlight style to
find the next blaze, in the dark -- albeit I did have SOBOs night hike into
a shelter last week using a Tikka.  Both had had problems crossing a large
pasture, however.

OTOH, in the summer I cut my weight in half with the Tikka -- for me, the
cost in ounces out weighing both the lost performance and the savings on
battery cost -- for someone like me who is not into night hiking.

Which gets to the reason for this post.  IMHO, one's style of hiking is
probably the most important driver of what equipment is best, in each of our
opinions.

I like what I hear about the Princeton Tec MATRIX and may switch to it for
my "winter light" -- If I can hint someone into a Christmas present.

As always, YMMV

Chainsaw