[at-l] AT north of Pennsylvania

I think my plans are logical for next year, but I'm looking for advice
for 2003 and 2004.

My plan next year is to pick up my long distance section hiking at Port
Clinton, PA about the first of May, and try to get to Bennington, VT by
the end of the month.  I'm assuming that May is not too early to be
hiking that portion of the trail without running into extremely cold
conditions.

I'm also assuming that May is too early to be hiking from Bennington, VT
north without considering it winter conditions.

What would be the earliest reasonable time to assume that hiking north
from Bennington would not run me into very cold conditions?  I have a
month long window of opportunity, but can only hike during May, June or
July, with a small chance of the first week or so in August.  So far I
have hiked from Springer to Port Clinton during the month of May, for
the last 4 years.

If I succeed in getting to Bennington, VT next year I'll also have to
think about how far north I'll get the next year, considering only a
month of hiking.  I'm getting mentally prepared for the Whites!