[at-l] Re: Getting started with the right gear

You are getting some good advice regarding outfitters and how to determine
the gear that you need. I notice that you are a lightweight lady, and
should be pretty cautious about your gear choices. I weigh a bit more than
you, and I would get very upset if I had to carry a 40 pound pack for very
long. Very often that is considered appropriate as it is "only 30%" of your
weight.

While choosing luggage may be a reasonable first purchase for a cruise,
choosing your backpack should be among the last purchases. You will want to
review your clothing, cooking gear, rain gear, sleeping/shelter gear and
the like. You will want to start thinking about how you want to carry water
as well as food choices. You might discover that your ancient backpack is
actually a pretty good choice, such as ancient Kelty external frame packs
and others. You will discover how the ounces add up to pounds pretty quickly.

So take some time to shop, leave your credit card at home, and read some
journals to see what works and doesn't work for others.

OrangeBug