[at-l] RE: Windmills

Bob Cummings wrote:
>"... Because of them being pretty well tucked into the woods you wouldn't
>be able to see very much of the farm."
>
>This simply is not true and cannot be true. The trees on Redington and
>Black Nubble, where the wind towers would be located, are high altitude,
>stunted Spruce and Fir. They average about 30 feet high.
>
>The wind towers and swirling blades will be 390 feet above the ridge line,
>360 feet above the forest canopy.

Bob -
It "could" be true - although I believe you're probably right.  It would
depend on the relative geometry/placement of the towers with respect to the
AT.  And that's something that can be (and should be) determined before the
towers get very far into the planning phase.  One question is - who's doing
that and what biases do they have?  I know about those biases - my job is
(once again) independent verification of engineering projects (i.e. -
keeping the contractor honest).

One of the requirements for this kind of windmill is that there be
sufficient (and consistent) air flow to generate the power that the tower is
capable of delivering.  In other words, if it's a 100Mw tower (just to pick
numbers out of the air) but the average air flow where the tower is located
will only move the vanes fast enough (on the average) to generate 60Mw, then
the installation is "over-engineered" and is economically unfeasible.

The corollary there is that if the windmill isn't in a gap or pass (or
notch), where the air flow is restricted and air speed is increased, then
it's probably in the wrong location.  Except for a very few places, putting
windmills on the ridgeline makes for marginal output and isn't desirable.
So the ideal place to put them would be in a gap - where they "might" not be
visible from the Trail.  But I wouldn't count on that happening.  I've seen
too much bad engineering the last few years (most of it driven by political
considerations) to have too much faith that an optimum solution woud be
used.

>The towers will be directly in the line of sight of hikers along the open
>Saddleback ridge, north to the Crockers. The top of the towers and the
>whirling blades will be roughly at the same elevation as the Saddleback
>ridge and located between 3/4th of a mile and, as near as I can tell from
>the maps, about 3 miles away.

If it's 3/4 mile away, then my first objection (the noise) would be
mitigated somewhat.  But then I'm not sure "anyone" knows just how much
noise those things would actually produce.  The 100 miles or so of windmills
along the PCT are noisy, but at 3/4 mile they're barely heard.  But they're
also somewhat smaller, if more numerous.  They're also uggerly.

>I don't know who the unnamed ATC director is, but it is not helpful >to
>spread misinformation.

I'd agree with that - but I'd also like to see a lot more information before
backing myself into a corner (either way) on this one.  But my first
impression is that you could be right.

>It's equally fallacious to talk about choices between wind and nuke plants.
>What this nation needs is a comprehensive energy policy. We need a common
>sense mixture of solar, wood, coal, wind and conservation that protects
>important parks and forests, while providing for basic energy needs.

While I've generally agreed with what you said here (although with more than
a few questions), I'll disagree to this extent - that leaving nuclear power
out of the energy equation is a bias that this country may not be able to
maintain in the future.  It's an entirely fear-based bias, with no
foundation in reality.  It's also political fact that due largely to that
irrational fear, there have been no new nuclear plants built in this country
in what - maybe 20 years?

Something to think about though - each of your proposed energy resources, as
well as the ones you didn't mention (water, nuclear, fusion, gravitic, etc.)
has problems, solutions and implications that are at odds with the
maintenance of the permanent wilderness/park areas that you're looking for.

>A few years ago a third of Maine's energy needs were being met through the
>use of wood burning industrial generating plants. The plants are now all
>shut down as the subsidies ended.
>
>We are now starting a new round of wind power subsidies, that will spur the
>construction of ill planned wind farms -- which eventually will close also
>as the subsidies end, leaving the rusting hulks of the towers to blight the
>landscape.

There's an assumption there that the towers would be left behind after their
useful lifetime.  And I won't say it's not true - I've seen the remains of
some large installations on 12,000 ft ridgetops in Colorado (among other
places).  But that's poor project management - and it's neither necessary
nor desirable. A properly designed and financed project requires advance
planning (before the project is even built)  for decommissioning, whether
it's a windmill, a nuclear plant or a local high school.  We do that with
spacecraft too.  We'd better - it would be damned irritating to have the
remains of a 45,000# spacecraft drop in your backyard.  To say nothing of
dangerous.  I know - the Russians didn't do that planning a couple times -
and neither did we.  But that was a long time ago - and we're supposed to
have learned better - with respect to both spacecraft and windmills.

Anyway - I've been rambling - but you might want to think about the idea
that providing "basic energy needs" for a growing population (worldwide as
well as on a "local" basis) isn't a simple process.  Nor is there any
guarantee that the "important parks and forests" won't become the prime
sources for the materials necessary to provide those "basic energy needs".
In which case, there "will" be both engineering and political choices made -
and the "important parks and forests" may well become mines or clearcuts or
wells.  One recent example that you probably don't like (I don't either) is
the Alaska drilling proposition. We may not like it now - the general
population may not like it now - but if we get to a real oil crunch, how
long do you think it'll take to reverse that "popular opinion" - and the
no-drilling policy?  Regardless of how you or I feel about it.

Windmills aren't the only problem - or the only problem that might affect
the Trail (or wilderness) in the future. And the comprehensive energy policy
you'd like to see may be something that pleases neither of us when it
happens.

Walk softly,
Jim