[at-l] Vetern's Day

> > > Much of that has to do with the fact that Canadians
> > > joined the battle much quicker than us Yanks. They
> > > answered the call of their King, while we awaited
> > > either and excuse or an attack.
>
> > Perhaps OB has never heard the term "Lend Lease" when
> > we Americans kept the UK supplied with everything from
> > Destroyers and guns and ammo to keep them going until
> > the point at which our own assets became threatened, at
> > which point we Americans entered the fray with men and
> > even more and better equipment....
>
> His point is that Canada entered into wars when they weren't
> obliged to do so, although that actually wasn't the case
> regarding the Great War.
>
> Further, to equate material sent by America to defend Britian
> with the lives sacrificed by Canada is ridiculous -- especially
> when you take into consideration that Canada's oversees units
> were all-volunteer and drew some of the toughest assignments of
> the western front (Dieppe and Scheldt come to mind) *because*
> they were considered superior to conscripted soldiers.
>
> > It might also be worth noting that we had no king then
> > nor do we now....
>
> No, it isn't.
>
> -MF

No it isn't what?  Perhaps you could be a little clearer in what you are
trying to say.  Canada was a member of the Commonwealth as is Australia and
didn't really have a choice of entering the fray or not.

Insofar as the materials, (armor, destroyers, small arms and food), sent
through 'Lend Lease" just as we are doing now with the Northern Alliance
most Americans did not feel threatened by the Nazis and definitely felt no
"call to arms" in order that we could get our asses shot off for what good
reason, pray tell me if you know.  Remember that Great Britain had already
been run off the continent when we jumped in and provided them with what
they needed most...  I still see no reason for this country to attempt to
police the world unless our own ass is threatened, which is being done at
the present.

However you feel about our foreign policy is your business, of course but we
appear to have done quite well for ourselves over the past couple of hundred
years...  Between the War of 1812 until 9/11 we have not experienced direct
attacks on any of the lower 48.  Now that we have been directly attacked,
notice how quickly we responded.  This is as it should be.

Oh, if you wish for a Royal Family, you might find it quite easy to
immigrate to the UK.  They always have kept one.  Notice that I said "kept".
God Save the Commoners of which I am one.

Whatever.

Jack