[at-l] Trail Conservation

In my pervious post I shot off of the hip and I need to restate my
position.  First off the total number of through hikers were less than
5000 people this year.  The estimated number of people who use
the AT for day hikes etc. is approximately 5 million.  The trail from
Approximately Wind Gap to the Conneticutt boarder is less than
1.5 hrs away from New York City.  Only the residents of that city
would believe that the AT is trully wild.  I know, because I have
counted over 200 cars from New York on any given day, in the
summer at the Delaware Water Gap.  How can a trail that is only
50 ft off the road in the Cumberland Gap or has road walks through
Duncannon and Oil City be considered wilderness?   The trail is
hunted on (It goes through State Gamelands in PA). logged in
Maine, and utilizd in a number of various ways.  The ATC sets out
guidelines and goals and congress has appropriated money to help
the ATC goals.  However the ATC goals may run contrary to the
local communities needs. The ATC needs to be sensitive to these
communities needs. I used to be upset about a cell phone tower.  I
now see the need for them and have watch as the newer designs
are put in place.  Power lines and pipelines need to be run.  I see it
as an advantage if two different functions can use the same space.
For one thing there is more money.

If one wants to approach something like wilderness on should go to
Canada and Hike on Crown Land.  In PA we have a number of trails
that approach something of the wilderness experience.  Every
State has them, but in the end one can hike only a few miles
before one hits the road.

Finally I want to talk about the through hiker attitude.  I have meet
many wonderful people on the trail.  Unfortunately there are a lot of
jerks in the world and th US has its own fair share of them and a lot
of them sem to hike the AT.  Pissed because you can't camp
someplace.  Know why.  It takes only one stupid stunt from one
individual to ruin it for everyone else.  Too many (thru)hikers think
that this is their hike and they can do what they dam well please.
To quote Felix's boss 'It is not what you say but what you do'.