Community ? was Re: [at-l] I'm out of here

> They are overlapping
> communities, with people, topics and concerns in common, but there are 2
> different communities.  And this list, or any other list, should not
> mistakenly be thought of as the trail community.

Tina,

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree that this is not a part of the
trail community.
Just as there are different entities that make up the "traditional" trail
community, such as service providers, trail angels, maintainers, members-at-large
of the different AT organizations, and so on, the internet is just one of those
entities, albeit a recent one.  Look at the folks these websites have provided
information to:  thru-hikers, section hikers, service providers, hiker wannabes,
ect., and brought them all together to share dreams, ideas, and knowledge.

In fact, I feel the internet and traditional AT communities have become
inseparable.  The AT will still function if the internet ever ceases to be, but
look at the relationships it has nurtured (and destroyed - but most of these were
made on-line, and were at best on-line relationships only).  While at Madison Hut
this fall, I met Baltimore Jack, and although I've known Jack for several years,
had never met him.  When we did in fact meet, it was as if we both knew each
other(we did, actually), and began conversing about things we were concerned
about.  Another friend I've known from atml left a message for me in a hut
register.
Never met him in person, but think of him as a good friend.

The internet and the interaction it allows has also kept the fire of the AT
burning for me all year long.  When I wasn't sure if I'd pick up my section hike
again this year, I received encouragement to do so.  If I needed help with gear
or an itinerary, or advice on where to stay, I could always rely on my on-line
friends to come through for me.

I do agree that the internet is "a bastion for people with too much time on their
hands", but it is no substitute for my personal life, for it is rich with other
friendships and family.

Ron