[at-l] Don't Give A *$%& Society

OK guys,

The State of PA wants to cut down some tree on an access trail to
the AT.  Both trails are on State Game Lands and there are a
number of reason that this is being done and the issues are
complicated.  Several LOCAL groups have been working together
to work with the PA DCNR on this project.  The money obtained
from the selective harvesting of the trees would go to the
improvement of the access trail to the AT.  The areas opened up
would allow for small game to flourish (It is a hunting area).  On the
other side of the coin is that the trees are very old and very large
and many people hike this trail to look at these trees.

So what is the purpose of this post!!!  First off it is a local issue and
advocates from outside this area may not have all of the facts.
Secondly they can drown out the concerns of the local community
who has to live with the decission.  Everyone on this list (At less I
hope) is concerned about the trail.  I have in the past written lettes
to organization taking part in discussions on the future of the trials.
 It is a waste of time writing drectly to government agencies unless
they invite comments from the outside.  The main goal of
government hearings are to listen to what the local communities
have to say about a project.

Finally, no one on this list has given back more to the trail than Jim
Owens.  This individual is always doing something with the KTA for
preserving the many wonderful trails in PA and I am sure he does
similiar things in Virginia and Maryland.  He is concerned about the
future of all trails, it is just that he does not think that this is the
forum one should use to discuss these issues.  I do not know why
I feel that I must defend Jim, his actions speaks volumes.

Bob Dudley
AKA Grey Owl