[at-l] (Guest Post) 2002 Introduction...

* Message posted to AT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Sarah Gates <sgates332@aol.com>.
* Please use <mailto:sgates332@aol.com> to reply to the sender.

I am in the information gathering stage for a 2002 AT thru-hike.  Reading though the archives I this list makes me feel like Alice falling through the rabbit hole to an exotic yet familiar country.  What a great service you are providing!

I grew up backbacking, and my greatest claim to fame is the circuit around Annapurna many moons ago.  More recently I have spent my days behind a computer screen, but two lay-offs in the last 12 months have made me less inclined to go back to work and more inclined to go take a walk in the woods.  I am also a New Yorker and was in NYC on 9/11.  The clincher in my new direction this next year.

I am moving towards a 2003 thru-hike in April.  I am also in possession of a frequent flier ticket that will take me just about anywhere and have found myself reading again about the circuit in Parque National Torres del Paine in Chile/Argentina.  (A pre-trek equipment trial?) I lived in Central America (fewer moons ago than Nepal, and spoke passable Spanish at that time.)

I am 41, in reasonable shape, faily obcessive but much more interested in fun than finish.  I am looking to hook up with fellow travelers.  Hiking anyone?

Sarah