[at-l] Katahdin Comment

I currently have for  my computer's wallpaper a really
cool shot of Katahdin in the winter.

A few people in the office wanted to know where in
Colorado was this mountain. They were a little taken
aback when this massive granite monolith on my screen
was "only" 5267 feet and located in Maine.  I think a
few people will no longer call the Appalachians mere
hills.:-)

Since I cut my backpacking teeth in New England, made
me feel a little smug. Most 14ers here in Colorado do
not have the elevation gain of Katahdin, they also
have this mythological (to a Eastern hiker) thing
called a switchback.

Not going to get into which is harder hiking (cause
none of it is easy), but the  I found the  "Where in
Colorado?" question amusing.

=====