[at-l] Hello, Goodbye, I don't know why...

In a message dated 11/7/01 1:21:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
KellyGoVols@aol.com writes:

> OK, I reckon I'll be the first to say it out loud... I DO NOT LIKE WF.  His
> autocratic, almost communistic way of running Trailplace REALLY turned me
> off.

   *** You wouldn't be the first. He probably didn't like a lot of Trail
attitudes equally as much, which is why he did it. I felt I understood that.
That's his personality. Shame, the above was avoidable.

> His website was supposed to be a forum for 'shared' information... Well,
> the
> bottom line is he doesn't share information, unless of course it falls
> under
> his criteria.  It was a great website, but it wasn't WF that made it so, it
> was the people who participated, and God help anyone who tried to
> communicate
> outside his domain.

  *** Never the less, the ability to share within his preferred definition
existed and some took advantage of it. Nobody said it was easy! LOL
    The journals were great. He dropped them for conservation drives. Serious
business first. Too bad, he had a good thing going there...

> He gave bad advice to children, he put down anyone who wasn't a purist, and
> he publicly humiliated a lot of people for merely disagreeing with him.

     *** Yeah, what can you do? He also tried to establish a higher Trail
ethic truer to the Trail's original definition or "tradition". That is lost
on some, especially those only looking to chat or involve themselves on a
superficial level. He said Trailplace was for active participants up front.
He was easy to hate because he took risks. Yes, some ill-advised, but never
the less I think some fail to detect his motives.
   He saw the Trail as falling from its original integrity and needing a
quality "tune-up". Your explanation strikes me as glossing by many of his
valid motives. Yes, he went too far and struck out at anybody he saw as
threatening his principles and perhaps he controlled the site a little too
tightly. I always saw it as being in pursuit of his beliefs. There's no doubt
he alienated a lot of people who didn't see it that way. Some unwritten rules
were undoubtedly broken...

> Personally, I think he's a moron, so there.

   *** I'll always respect WF for daring to set out to establish a cohesive
community of Trail interested individuals collectively embodying a Trail
ethic. Perhaps he didn't manage it the best way possible, perhaps he made
some unwise moves, but in the end I will see him as a person who tried to
help the Trail the best way he knew. He didn't receive criticism well or
tolerate inconsiderate opinions, however he tried to challenge Trail users
back to the basics and spur a community into rallying for the AT cause.
    Moron, no. He had talent and created a site and conservation drives on
his own. Perhaps he's a person who couldn't handle the way people will try to
bring down what they don't understand? Maybe he suffered from that himself as
well...

   Shoot, I can't help but like the guy...

multipart/alternative
  text/html