[at-l] Trip report, long & boring.

Trip Report- AT section hike- Springer Mountain to
Neel's Gap

New Gear Tried

G4 Pack
Hammock reflector
Chaco sandals
Marmot Windshirt
Delorme Topo software
Xtreme stove

Gear List(highlights)

G4 pack
Hennessey Hammock(original)
WM Aspen bag
Jagbag liner
Z-rest 6 section
Raidwind shoes
Xtreme stove
Brunton Sherpa(weatherstation)
Brunton MNS(GPS)
Photon lights(white and green)
Moonlight headlamp
Orange Vest(turkey season people)
Chaco sandals
Marmot Windshirt
Delorme Topo software

Background

 This hike was originally (and ambitiously ) planned
as a 5 day, 79 mile loop hike. It became
wind-suckingly obvious after the first day that this
was not to be. Instead, it devolved into a 3 day
section hike of between 37 and 41 miles, depending on
what source you consult.

Boring Part

 Left home at Midnight Thursday. Drove through the
night to reach Amicalola Falls State Park a little
after 9AM. One major goal of this hike was to map the
approach trail with my GPS, so I could add it to the
software dataset. Weighed pack(34.4 , with 5 days of
food and a dozen extra batteries for the GPS).
Dutifully registered and paid my usage fee, strapped
on my Chaco's, and started up the trail  at 10:15.

 Most of the fall color was muted, but still in
evidence. A gentle 3 mph breeze kept a steady rain of
leaves falling. A clear, gorgeous November day. The
bees were unusually aggressive, chasing me and my
apple up to the falls overlook. I passed several
dayhikers, several asking questions about the G4.
Great conversation piece.
 The GPS lost tracking for about 50 yards before I
noticed and swapped the batteries. It burned through a
new set in less than 2 hours. Good thing it was only
in constant use for the first 10 miles or so. Reached
Springer's summit about 3 PM. GPS put the approach
trail at 9.7 miles, about 1 mile more than the
databook. Delorme software puts it at 9.87 miles
terrain distance(vs map distance).

 About 1/2 dozen SOBO's were sitting around, absorbing
the fact that they made it. I left them to their
reverie and made my way to the shelter. I intended to
fill up on water and cook dinner. I found the stream
filled with about a case of beer. In the shelter log,
many SOBO's had noted with gratitude finding a
celebratory brew here. I guess that's all well and
good, but no one's standing there carding hikers
either. At least there were no empties in evidence.

 After dinner, I continued on to the Stover creek
shelter. Here the all night drive caught up with me,
so I called it a day at 11 miles or so. There's a set
of trees right behind the shelter that are perfect for
the hammock, so here I stayed. I had the place to
myself, fortunate since I had chili mac for dinner.
Read through the shelter log, nothing much of note.
Spent a cool, clear night. Moon was almost bright
enough to read by. Temps dropped to mid 40's. The
fleece reflector combo kept me warm and cozy.
Squirrels were in abundance, and aggressive. One ran
across the top of my hammock at a key moment in the
nightmare I was having. Something about a bear,
looking for food hanging from a tree. Typical hammock
dream, Right?

 Set about breakfast about 5 AM, and assessed my
chances of doing the whole loop. For some reason, the
thousands of 16 oz curls I've been doing since my last
hike in August didn't leave me in the exquisite
physical shape I thought. Vitamin I was definitely in
order. I decided I wouldn't decide what to do until I
reached the Duncan Ridge trail junction. Got on the
move again by 7. Stopped at Long creek falls to shed
layers and gawk. There were two groups camped here,
with one friendly dog. Moved on the the junction with
the Duncan ridge trail. Took a good long look at the
lack of a clear footpath, while sucking huge lungfuls
of air, and decided to save that trail for next
summer.

 Continued on the AT, pausing at the Hawk mountain
shelter sign. Ken Topley, if you read this, check in
with the Blairsville ER. Decided whoever routed the
trail over Justus mountain is a sick, twisted person.
Spoke with a nice scoutmaster who clued me to the new
shelter at Gooch mountain, about 1.5 miles before the
old one. Chatted with a few hunters, who remarked I
was the only hiker they saw wearing orange. Being
allergic to buckshot, I thought it prudent.

 I reached the Gooch mountain shelter about 4 PM. 2
sectioneers and 5 scouts were already in attendance.
Just opened in September, this was one nice structure.
Two story, reliable water, and a shiny new privy.
Decide to stay the night here. 12 miles according to
the guidebook. someone mentions that there was a
recent reroute, so it was more like 14. Whatever, it
had a privy.

 Got out early in the morning, with the ambitious goal
of reaching Walasi-Yi before they closed. I had been
charged with the duty of checking out the new owners
by a certain Bug. Pounded my way to Woody gap by 9. I
noticed a side trial to what looked like some
bouldering possibilities. Anyone know for sure?

 The Blood mountain wilderness was beautiful. Passed a
few day hikers, some sectioneers, all heading the
other way. Blood mountain itself was a tough pull.
There were scads of dayhikers(with dogs) in evidence
from the top down to Walasi-Yi.. Made the store by 4
PM. 13 miles by guidebook, 16 if you count alleged
reroute mentioned earlier. Can anyone confirm/deny
this reroute?

 Popped inside to arrange a shuttle, fondle some gear,
and check out the new owners. Winton(new owner) made
some calls while I raided the food. Nathan(a new,
younger Nathan) and I talked gear and future
improvements. Apparently, the new owners got a 20 year
lease, allowing them to make changes/additions that
wouldn't be profitable with a shorter lease. Clued
Nathan in to the various mail lists, so hopefully
we'll hear from him firsthand. Winton scored me a ride
with a trail angel named Mac(anyone know that name,
Mac?). Mac took me back to my car via Woody gap to
drop off another couple. It was an interesting ride.

Summary

All in all, a good trip. Clear weather the whole time,
highs in the 70's, lows down to 40's. I learned not to
set my expectations too high. I learned I need to hit
the gym more and the bar less. I learned that distance
is relative, at least to the source you're consulting.
I learned you can take a mountain switchback at 40 mph
in a SUV.

Gear Report

G4 pack- My first outing with this pack. The Z-rest
did not want to stay in its pocket. I had to readjust
it three times a day at least. Otherwise, it worked
great. Held everything with room to spare.

Hennessey Hammock(original)- The love fest continues.
Someday I might upgrade to the ultralight to save a
pound, otherwise the perfect shelter

WM Aspen bag, Jagbag liner, Reflector- Recently Tom
Hennessey has been discussing strategies for staying
warm in the HH. One item he mentioned was a windshield
reflector with fleece sewn on one side. The fleece
provides a non compressible barrier, creating the
airspace needed for the reflector to work. Not being
the sewing type, I hot glued fleece to a truck
windshield reflector. On the first night, I had some
trouble getting into my silk liner while staying on
top of the reflector. The second night, I skipped the
liner and slept directly on the fleece. Both nights I
piled the unzipped sleeping bag around me like a
quilt. Toasty the whole time.

Z-rest 6 section- Frame for the pack, hot seat in the
morning for breakfast.

Raidwind shoes- Starting to show their age, but still
good. Wore them the last two days.

Xtreme stove- First time I've had this out, although
I've owned it awhile. I know it's heavy, but it boils
so very fast...

Brunton Sherpa(weatherstation)- At 2 oz, gives me all
sorts of useless data I can obsess over.

Brunton MNS(GPS)- The battery eater. Works for what
its intended to do, but it puts the fill in landfill.

Photon lights(white and green), Moonlight headlamp-
I'm more than a little paranoid about being without
light. used the green to read, Moonlight to get around
at night, the white as a keychain...

Orange Vest(turkey season people)- This bears
repeating. Turkey season. People with guns that shoot
at things that move. If you are hiking anywhere its
legal to hunt, WEAR ORANGE. I'm not saying hunters are
trigger happy, it's just common sense to be visible.

Chaco sandals- Z2 with Colorado soles. I think these
will replace my Raidwinds for summer hiking. The soles
of my feet hurt a little, but no worse than with
sneakers.

Marmot Windshirt- I believed the hype. I still do.
Warm and incredibly light. Thanks to the BPL list for
this suggestion

Delorme Topo software- One source of my distance
variables. Check the soon to be posted full report at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackGearTest

 -Rob, the long winded