[at-l] Test Post, disregard

As I understand the problem, insects are fine food as long as you can
manage to gain more calories and protein from the meal than is consumed
in harvesting the critters. That leaves most flying insects out as a
decent meal. Stinging insects and catapillars are not particularly
great food, as the struggling critter can exact a price. Grubs are
reasonable, but this violates LNT (unless you are in a severe survival
situation). Assuming you are eating a bug that is not a manure feeder,
cooking is necessary primarily to improve texture and behavior of the
meal. Snails are haute cuisine, especially with a bit of butter and
garlic, and I'd suspect slugs would be similarly good with a bit of
salt.

Bugs are a signficant part of the diet for much of Africa, Southeast
Asia and South America. They make good TV viewing on Survivor and
similar programs. I've seen demonstrations of thrusting a stick into an
ant hill or rotting log, withdrawing a writhing mass of bug protein
resembling a corn dog.

If a bug got into my Liptons or Ramen, I'd consider eating it unless it
was a yellow jacket. I'd not be thrilled with a roach, but I can't
recall ever seeing a roach on the trail.

Bill...