[at-l] Hello, Goodbye, I don't know why...

>ok, now my curiosity is piqued...
>....of which the latter he damned in his final post.>

>anyone care to post, or paraphrase it?
>-r (back to lurk mode)

It all started with someone answering a question on the ATML by clicking
"respond" as opposed to going through the "appropriate channels" on
Trailplace.  This was the first post:

At 06:01 PM 11/2/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Iceman, (Others, jump in at any time.)
>
>Reference your post listing your preferences.  Thank you.
>
>Technical clothing I own is primarily Patagonia products.

Too bad this discussion did not originate on one of the websites in the
forums. It would be archived for all to see for some time, but now only the
limited audience here will see it.

I don't know what I have to do to get folks to use things as they are
designed. Sigh.

WF

Then, the poster responded:

Reference your post, dated November 2, 2001, advising "I responded to what I
was given on ATML.  If the article originated from thru-hikers.com, I answer
in that forum.  If the article is only on ATML, that's the only place I can
respond to it."

I respond to interesting posts, which reach me via my email, posting back to
the sender and to the website to which the author posted the original
message.  All my posts on this thread have been sent to the same places.  I
do not, therefore, understand the above message.

Thanks.  Steve

And then:

> I wasn't directing that at anyone in particular, just a general
> observation. After five years of trying to develop a way that information
> can be both shared for the moment and archived for later use, it's almost
> automatic that I think that way. I sometimes forget that most of you have
> other things on your mind. More than likely all of this will have to be
> shut down at the end of next month anyway, so I guess it's okay to use it
> and respond in whatever way folks want to use it in the meantime.

WF

And then:

WF,

Reference your post, dated November 2, 2001, "Too bad this discussion did
not originate on one of the websites in the forums.  It would be archived
for all to see for some time, but now only the limited audience here will
see it."

It was my understanding, as a condition of joining your website, I granted
you the right to re-post anything I posted on your website.  I see no
restriction upon your using anything I or anyone else posted.

In the referenced post, "I don't know what I have to do to get folks to use
things as they are designed."

I barely get around on a computer.  I perceive a computer as a marvelous
advancement of the typewriter, coupled with a terrific telephone directory.
I probably don't fully appreciate the "things" on your website.  I know I
don't understand how "they are designed."  I don't recall your instructions
for the non-computer-literate.  I realize "ignorance of the law is no
excuse" but a website dedicated to the exchange and interaction of ideas
doesn't seem an appropriate place to impose such a rule.  Please direct me
to instructions, easily understood by the computer illiterate, detailing how
to efficiently use your website.

Thanks.  Steve

And then the finale:

At 11:50 AM 11/3/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I take it from your last remark that your giving up on the website again.
>If so let me be the first to say thank you for all the help you have given
>the AT and you will be missed.

I think it more accurate to say that I have given up on the A.T. hiking
community, or finally admitted to myself that there is no such thing as an
A.T. hiking community in any meaningful sense. There are just lots of
factions. Over the years, it has become a place where I no longer want to be.

WF

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---