[at-l] Hello, Goodbye, I don't know why...

Ron, reference your post, dated November 5, 2001, advising "... the
Trailplace and Thru-hikers.com sites along with the ATML mailing list has
been shut down ... a loss to those interested in the AT ... a great resource
to the AT community ... which ... he damned in his final post."

Wingfoot advised, "I think it more accurate to say that I have given up on
the A.T. hiking community, or finally admitted to myself that there is no
such thing as an A.T. hiking community in any meaningful sense. There are
just lots of factions. Over the years, it has become a place where I no
longer want to be."

When a child is born, a parent must learn to let it go.  A child is not
going to discover walking until it's hand is released.  The training wheels
must eventually be removed from the bicycle.  The child must be able, indeed
enabled, to exist outside a protective cocoon.  A child may disappoint in
some way(s) but it also has the capacity to delight in unforeseen ways.

A website is someone's creation.  It's growth is due at least in part to
their guidance, but it takes on a personality of its own.  It will
disappoint.  It hopefully will also become a source of delight and pride.

I don't think I can agree he damned the AT community in this post.  I
consider the post reveals disappointment more than damnation.

Steve