[at-l] (Guest Post) New York...

Felix wrote:

> I think the reason there aren't as many womyn on the trail is that they don't like sleeping in the dirt and eating
> bugs and being dirty...

I won't argue with that. I remember a few years ago being approached by the middle-aged wife of a surgeon. (Read "spoiled"--sorry, OB...) She wanted to know more about hiking the Appalachian Trail. I stiffled a giggle.
"How do you get all your food?"
"You carry it on your back."

"What about your other stuff?"
"Same."
"Gee, that must be heavy."
"You try not to be, but you can't bring much stuff."

Surprisingly, she was still around for more.
"Where do you sleep at night?"
I discussed the options, mentioning shelters.
"Boys and girls together?"
"Yup. And sometimes dogs. And they're open on the front."

Hmmmm....she was still there. I figured the hygiene questions would do her in, but she managed through the inevitable potty and shower questions. Even talked about periods. Just when I thought I might have a real Kansas hiker on my hands, her brow knotted:
"But how do you manage to shave your legs every day?"
"You don't. You could bleed to death during bug season."
"Oh," she gasped, "I could never do THAT!!!"

So close...
Give Me Chocolate