[at-l] "trip report"- meniscus corner

In a message dated 11/2/01 3:20:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bcalkins@disaster-relief.net writes:

<< >Personally, I'd get real liberal with the budget on a sleeping bag and
 >economize elsewhere.
 Bill....

 Agreed, I value a good night's sleep.
 Black Wolfe  >>

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread, so may be sticking my oar in
water that's already been paddled, but...

You might consider hiking with a lightweight bag, plus a good bivy.  I use a
35-degree, synthetic-fill bag plus an OR Standard bivy and feel I'm coming
out ahead on the weight/benefit ratio.  Kind of a variation on the dressing
in layers concept.  For snow camping, I have my heavier down bag, but still
carry the bivy.

This works for me.  For those who are scratching their heads, I also carry a
poncho-tarp instead of a tent.  Less condensation.  It's all part of my
system and, as I say, works for me.  If I were tent-inclined, I would leave
the bivy at home.