[at-l] Horseback Riding on the AT

In a message dated 11/2/2001 6:20:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
janl2@mindspring.com writes:

> It must be said:
>
> I personally apologize for all the sins of my fellow riders. Every last
> one. Cretins!

LOL....   I hope you didn't think I thought all riders were cretins.  My
experience comes from the PCT and for the most part the independant riders
were wonderful people, conscience of their surroundings.  However, most of
the commercial packers and mule trains I saw had little regard for anything
else but their clients and appartently their wallets.

In a catch 22, a great deal of the PCT is maintained by backcountry horsemen
(and women) and it would be nearly impossible to keep the trail up without
them, since most of the trail is remote, but for the most part it's the
damage they cause that they're fixing, not to mention the pulverized soil,
the spoiled water sources and abundance of "trail apples" that remain there
for the rest of us.

Personally I'd like to see horse diapers in the backcountry.  Afterall if a
dog shits on the trail or in a campsite, the owner is expected to clean it
up.  (llamas get a pass, for miles I thought I was following a large deer or
an elk and auguably cause less damage than a backpacker)

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---