[at-l] Remaing Old Growth in Maine, WV, East

Another place to view a first-growth forest not too
far from the AT is the "Hopper".  This area, located
off the slopes of Mt. Greylock (Massachusetts)  is in
an area that was too steep to be financially worth
cutting down the trees.  A nice loop that takes this
in is to take the Moneybrook trail (blue blazed). Hike
up this pleasent trail, visit the falls. Go to the AT
and hike towards Greylock.  Follow the AT for a while,
and take the blue-blazed  Hopper trail (or something
like that, it has been a while since I have hiked in
the Greylock area). As you go down this STEEP trail,
you can admire the trees knowing that they are first
growth. As a hiker, it can be a moderate-difficult
hike going down (and not too fun going up..hence start
at MoneyBrook !!!), imagine using horses to haul out
lumber from this area. If I recall correctly, some
animals died of exhaustion when some lumber was
attempted to be hauled out.  I am sure Cosmo can shed
more info on my vague re-collections...

My mind boggles at the thought that at one point there
was an almost unbroken forest from Alambamba to
Quebec.  Mind you, what we have now is not bad or
good, but different.

=====