Re[4]: [at-l] Adding fuel to the fire (was Logging on the ATin Maine)

At 08:22 PM 10/31/01 -0500, Bob Cummings wrote:
>You forgot to add that I'm sitting in a room heated by wood heat. None of
>which
>in anyway negates my view that we need a few places where we let nature do
>what
>nature will.
>
>  I'm not opposed to harvesting wood, or using wood. I do think we need some
>  natural preserves so that us curious types can observe what nature does,
>  unmolested by humans.
>
>  Uncurious or know-it-all types may have contrary views.

I read somewhere a few years ago (okay maybe it was 10 or 15) that the
amount of timber harvested from just the federal forests was equal to what
we export to Japan.  The writer further claimed that the Japanese paid less
for the timber than it cost the taxpayers to build access roads for the
logging companies to harvest the timber.

Then there's all the timber cut on state, county and company owned
land.  It kind of makes me wonder if we recycled/conserved more and didn't
sell our resources at a loss to other countries, how much lumber we'd
really need to cut.  Yeah, yeah I know.  It makes jobs.  Couldn't we make
some other kind of jobs?

sAunTerer