[at-l] The Text of the Thruhiker Notice

Daicey Pond Appalachian Thru Hiker Shelters in Baxter State Park
This clipboard is located here to help Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers
self-regulate their use of Baxter State Park's Daicey Pond A.T. shelters.
There are two 4 person lean-tos, and space for up to 4 additional people to
tent, allocated for the use of A.T. thru-hikers-atotal of 12 first come,
first serve, spaces on any given night. The fee to camp at the Daicey Pond
A.T. site is $6/person/night. When the Park sites/lean-tos are at capacity,
stays at this site are limited to one night for north bound hikers and two
nights for south bound hikers or flip-floppers coming up to complete Katahdin
before the October 15th closing of the camping season. Daicey Pond rangers
will exercise judgment on this issue at their discretion.
We have tried to be flexible and work with the unusual circumstances of A.T.
thru hikers for many years now. The arrangement at the Daicey shelters is
unlike any other in the park since all other sites must be reserved in
advance for the exact date by mail or in person. Due to the numbers of people
of people now hiking, at times the demands for accommodations exceeds the 12
person capacity at the Daicey. Hence, we are asking hikers to sign up on this
clipboard for the night they hope to stay at the Daicey A.T. site. Keep in
mind this is not a guarantee of a spot because it is possible a flip-flopping
hiker might come directly to Millinocket, enter our south gate at Togue Pond
and start their hike from Daicey without ever seeing this clipboard.

The names on this list will be given to Daicey Pond in the late afternoon
each day. When you arrive at Daicey, check in to register as an A.T. hiker,
and confirm whether you will be able to stay that night. If your name is on
the clipboard and there is not enough space when you check in, we will work
with you to find a space at nearby Foster Field Group campsite or a
campground if it is available.

WHAT IF THE CLIPBOARD IS FULL FOR THE NIGHT I HOPE TO STAY IN BAXTER?
If there are names for all twelve Daicey spaces, please sign up for the
soonest available space down the chart and consider camping near here at Abol
Bridge Campground (private) or Abol Pines (Maine Dept. of Conservation) or
staying in town until the day you have signed up for. Keep in mind: if you
are trying to stay in the Park mid-week from Labor Day until October 15th,
there are often, but not always, lean-tos or tentsites available at Foster
Field, Katahdin Stream or Abol Campgrounds. Daicey Pond rangers will check
via radio for you and make the reservation if such openings exist.

Useful Phone Numbers:
Minuteman Taxi: (207) 723-3200
Baxter State Park Headquarters: (207) 723-5140

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---