[at-l] Logging on the AT in Maine

 Hiking out from the Hurd Brook shelter yesterday morning I saw some
disturbing sights. Last year there was logging close to the South side of the
trail between the shelter and the spring, but with the leaves gone the
encroachment was all too visible. Several tree stumps were 25 feet from trees
with white blazes.
 A bit further north, and new logging on the North side of the trail came
into view. For over a mile, the trail runs beside a long strip of cutting,
with the edge as close as 40 feet to blazed trees. For a mile you see more
blue and orange survey tape than white blazes. I knew that bit of forest,
huge hardwoods and pines, high canopy, and a trace that I always thought was
the old AT route. (The old trail ran off north after Pitmam Pond at an angle
from the current AT, intersecting the Golden Road across from the old timey
bridge across the Pebnobscot by Foss & Knowlton brook.)
TJ < counted 120 rings on one stump.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---