[at-l] Electric rays, not radiation

Irradiation does not imply making something
radioactive, nor does it mean that it harms food or
film.  A lot of the food we import and eat is
irradiated routinely to ward off bacteria
transmission.  It does not affect the food's makeup in
any way.  Also the types of electron beams or
irradiation that is, or will be, used to "clean" the
mail is similar to the systems used in airports to
scan luggage and in the food industry to "clean"
vegetables and should not harm food or film, unless
the film speed is over 800.  So, hikers should not
worry about sending food and film through the mail
unless it is raw meat.  I know it's tempting, but I'd
hold off on that.

Nocona
GA-ME'98