[at-l] Hammock Technique (was Blood Mountain?)

At 09:44 AM 10/29/01 -0500, Linda Benschop wrote:
>At first I had a hard time getting the straps around the trees, but the
>second night I had it DOWN.     ...clip...
>  Do you have problems with the
>thermarest or sleeping bag slipping and sliding?  That was one problem I
>need to work on.  The second night I didn't even use the thermarest and it
>was better, but I have a very slippery bag and am wondering if I need
>another kind.

I've never used a pad in my hammock (currently using a Clark) but on my
last outing I learned that sleeping in a hammock reduces the insulating
value of your bag.  When you sleep on the ground you compress the bag
beneath you but your pad makes up for the compressed fill by insulating you
from the ground (if it's a good pad that is).  A hammock compresses the
insulation beneath you and also partially compresses the insulation on your
sides.  I have a 20º bag but I found it a bit cool when the temperature got
down to around 40º.  It wasn't a problem, just cool enough so I was aware
of being cool below.  I was plenty warm above.  The fact that there was a
15 mph wind probably contributed.  You don't have to deal with wind chill
underneath you when you're on the  ground.

sAunTerer