[at-l] How big is this War {WAS (Guest Post) 2002 hiking}

Conquering and occupation of US soil doesn't look like the goal of those
attacking the country. Reduction of the quality of our lifestyle does
appear to be a goal, and for many this appears to have occurred. The fact
that a potential hiker would contemplate changing plans due to this "war"
is further demonstration of how the world has changed.

Gary is right that "war" is only declared on other nations, a situation
that not even the Civil War acknowledged toward the rebellious state
governments and their confederation. We are in a situation in which our
republic will once again balance individual freedoms against national
security interests. Hiking remains a very good sport in order to have gear
that prepares ourselves for disruption of utilities and food supplies. It
also provides the confidence and preparation that helps enhance morale for
ourselves and our families. I suspect in this war, morale on the home front
will be at least as important as in any of our other wars - possibly more
important than ever.

OrangeBug