[at-l] Re: Re Re Sleeping Bag Advice

Yes, a down bag will usully cost more than a synthetic. The bags I metnioned certainly will, but
unless you ruin the bag you should not need to replace it for a very long time.

There are also less pricey down bags like the ones Campmor sells that have received good press from
people. I've never used their bags so I can't really comment on how warm they really are. The
Campmor bags are generally made with a lesser grade of down (550 fill v. 750-800; the number refers
to how many cubic inches an ounce of down will occupy; a higher number is better). The Campmor bags
tend to run around $115. The bags from Western Mountaineering can be as inexpensive as about $210
(Iroquois which I have used under a tarp to around freezing and in a tent to much colder) or about
$270 for the Apache which they rate to 20*F which means for me probably much colder than that.
Nunatak bags are pricier but they'll do costum work. Feathered Friends also does costum bags and
they have sales <www.featheredfriends.com> that you can check out on their website of older models
at usually 15-20% off.

I also think, though this is very subjective, that down bags seem to drape better than synthetic.
However, this feeling is based on some pretty limited experience.

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **