[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: [at-l] Trip Report - Amicalola to NOC ]]

Sounds like a great trip. Some comments and questions:

Ron Tilkens wrote:

> ...and eventually arrived at I-81, which I would take south for over 300
> miles....

More like 500 miles, wasn't it?

> ...I had reserved a heated bunk at NOC...

Thought ALL rooms had heaters. I was in the top of a 4 room split level
behind and on a level with the lower part of the day-house.

> ...where I would be leaving my car...

Did you park right near the bunkrooms? I parked WAY up the mountain
above the motel area.

>...headed into Brysons City in search of food...

I found a Pizza Hut - trust you did better.

> ...Mapquest had projected that the trip would take 3:39 minutes
> ( from Brysons City to Springer ); however, we were there before 10:30 a.m....

I find Mapquest is always VERY conservative. I generally add up the
miles and divide freeway by 55 and highway by 45 and adjust for towns
and end up pretty close.

>  ...by the time I was at Frosty Mountain, ... i was on
> Springer Mtn a little after 3:00...

Don't have a map handy - So you did the approach trail? I started at the
upper
falls and wimpishly skipped the climb up the first mile.

> ...took a photo of the bronze plaque...

Did you end up spotting all 4? I found 'em :)

> ...and had a short break outside the shelter ( excellent spring ).
> Continued on while the day became increasingly overcast and arrived
> at Hawk Mountain Shelter,...

See any rangers? I stayed at the dump at Stover Creek.

> ...My original plan allowed 10 days for this stretch, with a "buffer" of
> Saturday and Sunday, just in case...This meant 9 days, and i was a little
> apprehensive, despite...

And you did it in 8, but with a monster 24 mile finish.

> ...reassurances from fellow lister and hiking friend Gary T ( I have a 1995
> copy of the maps,
> with the 10.02 and 9.50 vertical exaggeration that makes many
> mountain seem like the Matterhorn )....

I took the lighter ~80's map set, with a "normal" 5. VertEx. Less
detail, less weight, less anxiety, more adventure!

> ...I did not like what i heard on my weather
> radio: Fri rain, Sat rain, Sun rain, and Mon rain....

Rain actually started on Thursday, ended Sunday from your notes.

> ...I took a very brief detour to the newly-relocated Gooch Gap Shelter...

I stayed at the old Gooch Gap - again, a dump. I've stayed in worse.
Wish I had camped at the Gap.

> ...This was the first time i had seen the bear cabling
> systems, very impressive! ...

Like the Smokies?

> ...decide to push on to Blood Mountain Shelter ( too far ), arriving at
> twilight with my 3 quarts/6 pounds of water "helping" me up that final
> 1500+ ascent....

Neat stone cabin - wish I'd stayed there.

> ...I slowly and carefully made my way down to Neels Gap
> for re-supply, arriving around 10:00.  I had some snacks ... but planned to get breakfast, dinners,
> gorp, and other items until Rainbow Springs. ...

Now that you've done this stretch, would you have changed your resupply
strategies any?

> ... this 13 mile day - the shortest of my whole trip - seemed
> the hardest.

Well, the descent from Blood was interesting. And the climb up
Tes-Nasty...

> ...Arrived at Tray Mtn about 5:00 p.m. ...

Ate lunch there - nice piped spring.

> ... on to Bly Gap, arriving around dusk ...

Ate lunch at the Oak. Gotta love that oak!!

So you never got to test your bivvy in the rain. I still wonder if there
is room to change clothes and cook in a >>downpour<< in a bivvy, and
keep your bag dry. I also wonder about condensation. Keep me informed,
please. Meanwhile I'll stick with my 2 lb homemade.

>...stopped in at
> Rainbow Springs.  Excellent stock of hiker food, IMHO - i love the way
> you can buy one oatmeal instead of ten!  Had a nice chat with Jensine
> Crossman, ... while i waited
> to devour a medium cheese pizza....

I liked everything about RS - including, especially, Ms Jensine. I WILL
be going back.

> ...reached Way Bald tower amidst swirling snow flurries and 50 foot
> visibility....

Yuck. Hypothermia City!

> ... all the way to NOC! ...

Why the 24 mile push? Restaurant Fever? Or the weather?

> ...I did climb the tower at
> Wesser Bald and was treated to one of the best 360 views in my life....

YES!!!

> ...The end of the trail was in sight ... the last mountains....

So..
      You           Me, the Wimp

day 1 16 (part day) 10 (part day)
    2 21            15
    3 13 (resupply) 19 (resupply)
    4 15            15
    5 19            20
    6 19            12 (part day)
    7 16 (resupply) 20
    8 24            16 (resupply)
    9               19
   10                6 (part day)
     143 total     152 total

Your day 7 should be at least 2 more for walking into RS. The other 7
miles are  day-by-day discrepancies as I went to Silers Bald, to
springs, views etc. which I did not add to your totals. I suspect your
total is probably 150+.

> ...I can really see why people fall in love with this area - i
> definitely plan to return.

Franklin would be a good place to retire, but I could never get my wife
to agree. No mall ;)

- Gary from Fairfax