[at-l] (Guest Post) 2002 hiking

<<--- vj henry <vhenry@mwmc.org> wrote:

> > I live on the west coast and plan (?) to start the AT in March 2002, but have questions now as to what others think about a through hike in relation to/because of war.

Then Miz Chocolate wrote,

<<I don't mean for this to sound like a flip answer. I have no idea what is going to happen in the next six months, and I don't have plans to thru-hike next year. That said, the trail sounds like a pretty safe and appealing place to be under the circumstances...>>

While I have no set plans to hike next year (besides a two week stroll through the wilds of Scotland in May), this made me think of something I said on September 12.  In an email to a hiking friend of mine, I told her that the freedom to hike and pursue dreams is what we are fighting for. I stand by what I said then and encourage each and everyone to live life to the fullest. As far as safety, its like I tell my family. I fly into strange cities and drive around looking for my hotel after dark more often than I care to think of. I am a lot better off in the woods where I know what the dangers are and can actively avoid them.

That said, I am volunteering at my forest this weekend and going hiking next weekend. Everyone does their part in their own special way.

POG