[at-l] Re: The cost of NOT treating water

> Dave,  What did you need the Leatherman for?  I field strip,
> clean and
> reassemble the MSR Miniworks with no tools at all.  That was
> what sold me
> on that filter (plus the relative ease of pumping).  I've had
> mine for
> several years (4-5?) and never had any serious problems.  The
> only time it
> wouldn't pump was once when I inadvertently reassembled it
> without the
> little ball in the ball valve. DUH!

I also noted the tool, but hey, maybe he just wanted an excuse to justify
carrying the extra few ounces...<G>

Even though I love my Miniworks, I have NEVER considered it easy to pump. It
is both harder and requires more strokes than most of its competition. Of
course, it isn't apples to oranges when the easier pumping competition is
using a more porous (and thereby less effective) filter.

I have discovered at least one condition that will kill even the Miniworks,
although it WAS the last filter to die. Filtering water out of one of our
spring-fed, sand bottom, steep-head creeks (it was probably unnecessary, but
who knows). The suspended sand did not clog the filters but instead broke
the seal on the pumping mechanisms preventing them from drawing water. As I
said the Miniworks was last to go...

I'm quite satisfied with it and will continue to carry and use it.

Lee I Joe