[at-l] giardia

I come from the school that every child should eat a pound of dirt before
their first birthday. I also avoid antibacterial cleansers as some exposure
to the bugs of the world makes sense. But the idea that drinking Tennessee
spring water will prevent E Coli reactions in a third world country is
fairly astounding. If you simply live in the country for a few weeks, you
will get you gut acclimated to the new strains of E Coli in the water
supply without overloading your system and getting ill. I know of others
who will do this sort of thing to themselves in hope of getting it over
with quickly, but I just don't see the point.

There really is nothing bad about taking Pepto Bismol with you on trips to
slow down GI events. No one really needs to wish for a brown badge of
courage. Treat it and get over it as quickly and easily as possible.

OrangeBug