[at-l] Connecticut Stealth

Bob Cummings <ellen@clinic.net>
on Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:19:46 -0400
wrote :

>An interesting legal question is "What constitutes camping?"
>
>  If I get tired driving and stop at a rest area, tip my seat back and go
>  sleep, am I "camping?"
>
>  If I'm walking on a trail and get tired and stop and lay down to rest, am
>  camping?
>
>  What if it starts to rain and I put up a tarp? Does camping require a
>shelter?
>  Does just sleeping under the stars constitute "camping?"
>
>  What if I fall asleep during a late afternoon rest and don't wake up
>until
>  morning?
>
>  Perhaps, it gets chilly while resting on the trail and I crawl into my
>sleeping
>  bag, or wrap a blanket around me. Which of these acts convert my rest to
>  "camping." Or perhaps, I'm still not camping.
>
>  What if I hike all night and sleep all day? Does camping occur only at
>  night?
>
>  Weary

I found it interesting that the Grand Canyon Park rangers had allowance for
hikers arriving at the campgrounds at any hour of the night. Now that they
charge fees to hike in the canyon, is it 'legal' to hike at night and siesta
during the day to get around the camping restrictions in the park? Dayhikers
do not need a permit/fee receipt . Just got back from Shenandoah National
park and went through the mill again looking for non-shelter camping spots.
They are few and far apart. Great weather though. It was warmer on the
Skyline Drive than in Waynesboro in the morning. Springs are running a
little dry too. Oh yeah, the Place in Damascus, VA is being turned into a
haunted house too I found out. That made me chuckle when I saw it.