[at-l] Connecticut Stealth

In a message dated 10/23/01 6:10:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gwright@connix.com writes:

> one of the
> more frustrating things for a backpacker in CT is that camping is
> generally *NOT* allowed on any of the blue-blazed trails.  There
> are a few backcountry (if you can call it that in Connecticut)
> camping sites, and of course the shelters on the AT in Connecticut,
> but other than that it would seem to be quite difficult to do a
> multi-day hike on any of the blue-blazed trails in CT.  Does anyone
> know if the new Federal status will affect this?

   *** I wouldn't hesitate to stealth. My read on this is that these laws are
generally to keep a squatter/homeless occupation from posing as overnight
camping. There are also liability imposed fears and restrictions. My take is
that these are largely "look the other way" enforced laws and a good
through-hiker could get around them. I would bet I could find enough
sheltered and separated sites to stealth around the restriction.

    Morally, I think the honorable intention of trying to through-hike would
absolve you of any anti-social guilt. They probably won't be looking for you
anyway. The trick is to know where you can get away with it. Call me a
scofflaw - but please, the day we can't camp on a distance trail on a
through-hike to enjoy our American Heritage is the day %&*$#^  ^*^#^*  #@%*.
I think our founding fathers would be shocked to learn that people were being
arrested for camping in the hills on a hike! You will find the restriction of
swimming or denial of overnight rough camping is generally for the comfort of
an institution or such rather than the guarding of your freedoms. The fact
that there is a trail there keeps you from just being a bold violator.

    As I prove above, sometimes it's best to just shut up and do it...  ;)

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---