[at-l] RE: who does what?

> I carry and use an MSR filter and am thinking, after this
> discussion, that I
> need to use the iodine tablets I carry, but have never needed
> as a backup, to
> treat the filtered water.

Actually, if you are going to carry and use both, treat the water first,
THEN use the MSR filter to remove the Iodine after it has had a chance to
work. The current MSR filter has an activated carbon core that will remove
the Iodine just fine. I carry a three liter collabsible canteen that I use
to gather/treat water. From there I can either boil it for cooking or filter
it into a drinking bladder. This saves some effort by not requiring you to
filter ALL of the water, just what isn't boiled.

Lee I Joe