WAAA-HOOOO!!! Re: [at-l] New National Trail In New England

OHHHHHHHHMIIIIIIIGAWWWWWWDDDDD!!!!!! This is SO FREAKIN' KEEEWWWLLLL!
This is the trail on which I cut my (backpacking) teeth. Anybody
remember the Fartwell Stream story? Figure Mile 20. Remember my Mommy
deciding that mountain boots were *not* a waste of money? Figure Mile
35, right about at the height-of-land that RnR mentions below. Some
of my best disaster stories (untented tornado, on concrete,
stealthing at Miller Pond, Mile 4; breakfasting the entire group at
03:00am on the mountain above Fartwell Stream, because the moon woke
me up and I was too lazy to check my watch), and profound beauty
events (*lurid* sunset over a resevoir from the beginning of the
west-facing cliff around Mile 30[?].....

They say "Those mountains are dearest that we climbed in our youth."
Phew. If the Kangamagus Highway through the Whites is my Number One,
then this is *surely* my number two. I've promised the boys that one
day we will stop at Fartwell Stream, drink heartily, and then bottle
some up for the [surely fun] ride home..... Hooooooooomigod. Well,
THANK GOD FOR THE CONNECTICUT FOREST AND PARK ASSOCIATION, and THE
CONNECTICUT BLUE BOOK (should be owned by ALL SERIOUS blue-blazers!!!
http://ctwoodlands.org/bluetrails.html

They're calling it the Metacomet-Monadnock-Sunapee-Mattabesett Trail,
but in south-to-north order, it should really be the
Mattabesett-Metacomet-Monadnock-Sunapee Trail.
http://www.doi.gov/ocl/2001/hr1814.htm And they're even designating
it all the way to Mt. Cube (a neat little beast between Hanover and
the Whites in New Hampshire)

Anybody interested in shuttling can hit
http://geocities.com/CapitolHill/6488/hiker-CT.htm
for a marvelous array of options in/around Connecticut.

Happy Trails!!!!!
(the EXTREMELT tickled)
Sloetoe
Mattabesett-Metacomet (CT-only)'74-'76,AT'79,LT'01

--- RoksnRoots@aol.com wrote:
> I just happened to be watching CSpan on cable and chanced upon the
> house voting a new National Trails Act trail in in
Connecticut/Mass/New Hampshire.
> I won't even attempt the name -it contains three indian-derived
> mountain names beginning with "m". The middle one is Monadnock. The
vote appeared to be universally favorable on the floor. Its distance
will be 182 miles and AMC appeared to be influential, as did the fact
that the house member bringing it to vote had hiked the whole thing!

>     If you have ever driven up I-84 up through central Connecticut
> you would have seen a large basalt mountain, stretching north to
south, crossing near Waterbury. This geological feature is a
basalt/igneous extrusion in the area from eons back where volcanic
activity created harder rock that didn't erode like the other types
nearby. When I drove up through there I always wanted to jump out and
climb. Now it looks like there is an official national trail up
there! (YES!!!)

>     If you know the Appalachian formations in that part of the
> country you would know they run north/south all the way up to
Canada. Apparently this trail will take advantage of linking these
ranges and their surroundings, history, and countryside, together
into the M-M-M Trail (they had better change that name -it's a mouth
full). It will go from the Long Island Sound up through central
Connecticut and into the Berkshires in western Mass. From there it
will go up through New Hampshire. This sounds like a real autumn,
> short through-hike, jewel of a trail! Maybe they should call it the
> "Birch Trail" or something to make it pronounceable.
>

>     If you have ever peered over to the tempting ranges near the AT
> during a Massachusetts hike and pondered how nice they would be,
you now have a trail!
> Or, just drive up 84 and you will see the tempting cliffs!
> Excellent!!!
>

>      - R 'n R

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!