[at-l] New National Trail In New England

RoksnRoots@aol.com writes:
>     If you have ever driven up I-84 up through central Connecticut you would
> have seen a large basalt mountain, stretching north to south, crossing near
> Waterbury. This geological feature is a basalt/igneous extrusion in the area
> from eons back where volcanic activity created harder rock that didn't erode
> like the other types nearby. When I drove up through there I always wanted to
> jump out and climb. Now it looks like there is an official national trail up
> there! (YES!!!)

This would be the Metacomet-Monadnock-Sunapee-Mattabesett trail.

The Metacomet and Mattabesett trails are part of Connecticut's Blue
Blazed Hiking Trails (http://www.ctwoodlands.org/bluetrails.html).

I've been doing some on-line research on the trails and one of the
more frustrating things for a backpacker in CT is that camping is
generally *NOT* allowed on any of the blue-blazed trails.  There
are a few backcountry (if you can call it that in Connecticut)
camping sites, and of course the shelters on the AT in Connecticut,
but other than that it would seem to be quite difficult to do a
multi-day hike on any of the blue-blazed trails in CT.  Does anyone
know if the new Federal status will affect this?