[at-l] The cost of NOT treating water

Not to speak to water on the CDT, Jim, but did I miss the post's
discussion about any new evidence regarding the equal likelihood of
acquiring giardiasis (whether you treat/filter or not)? This little
factoid, developed and much-traveled from Rolly Muesser's (1995?)
book, but re-substantiated each year since, would be a good starting
point. But as far as the CDT goes, you were in attendance at the
Gathering's Colorado Trail presentation, yes/no?, where in a group of
7 or 8, some filtered; some treated; one drank gratefully, and never
felt thirst in bypassing what he termed "questionable" water sources?
Now, that's only 400 miles of a 2500 to 3000 mile route, but that
seems a fair observation, none-the-less.

Walking (and occasionally pooping) softly,
Sloetoe
[who treats his AT water with ... respect]
(Just don't ask me about the 3"/4oz cylinder that pops into my
squeese Nalgene and replaced the annual (unopened) iodide re-purchase
in my pack, traveling entirely safe and unused through such alleged
pathogen hot spots as the Smokys' AT or the Long Trail. Nor do I wish
you to ask me about how I deal with the fetid flows found here in
Hoosierland....)

--- Jim and/or Ginny Owen <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com> wrote:

> For those who think it's fun to NOT carry water treatment on the
> trail - we got this from a friend a couple days ago.
>
> >Level 3 doctors Exam at Queen City Medical center- $175.00
> >Prescription of METRONIDAZOLE (FLAGYL) to kill Giardia virus-
> $15.49
> >
> >This, my friends, was the cost of drinking water on the CDT this
> summer

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!