[at-l] Section Hike Planning Assistance

When are you planning for your walk? Fall and winter will give you good
views, but weather can be pretty tricky.

That is a very nice section, and will give you plenty of challenge
physically and mentally. Initially, you are walking into little
opportunity for bailing out if there are problems, but Franklin NC is
at most 5 days away. You should have trail legs by Wayah Bald or NOC.

The shelters are all in pretty good shape except for Sassafras Gap (I
believe) just north of NOC. It was pretty shaky when I visited a couple
of years ago. There are other campsites that I liked better in the
area.

There are a few shuttle services in the area, as well as many resupply
opportunities. I suspect folks around Franklin or NOC (maybe even
Rainbow Springs Campground) would be the most likely candidates if you
don't get takers from the list. I'd encourage visiting Fontana Village
at the end for pretty cheap motel rates, okay food and prices, and a
pretty safe place to leave your car. A morning exit from Fontana is
pretty common, especially if you have to wash clothes.

Bill...