[at-l] Doctor's Orders

> Downhills tend to be tougher on knees than anything else. I find that
> walking sideways or creating "switchbacks" on the trail helps when my
> knees
> are protesting.

	Walking backward - yes, truly! - down a hill can also give stressed
structures a stretch and rest.

 	Of course, you have to pick your trail, but one can get so adept as to
make almost as good a time backward as descending in the more
conventional mode of locomotion.

	I find I look over the same shoulder (right) tho, and that's probably
not so good, unequal use of the body. But I don't do it as well looking
over the left.

	This method saved a trip for me after twisting a knee on Day Two of a
weeklong trek over Roan MT, the Humps, the despised pre-relo 19E
stretch, Laurel Fork Falls, etc. It was the only way I could continue,
and my knee healed as the week progressed. Now I do it any time I need a
break.

	You have to be brave enough to endure some looks tho!

	Best,
	Jan
--
    Jan Leitschuh Sporthorses Ltd.