[at-l] Early or late?

I'm in thru-planning mode again, and would like some ideas regarding early start vs. late start.

Although I hike every weekend, up to 15 miles per day, I'm in cushy terrain here in FL, so I figure like everyone else my starting AT mileage will be low. I do want to finish the trail before The Gathering. I figure I'm capable of 20 mile days (have done them here but they are exhausting!) after a couple of months of the trai.

I am debating whether to start in April rather than March for two reasons. I don't sleep well in cold weather (perhaps Weathercarrot can comment here), so I figure by April I'll have less nights of freezing temps to deal with and should still be able to finish in Sept. I also work for a company that hands out a whopping bonus check (enough to cover the $2/mile) IF you stick around through the end of March to collect it.

A March start would mean more time to stop and smell the roses, which is part of what I want to do. I don't want to be propelled by a timetable. When I quit working, I don't plan to return to my job but will resume freelance work thereafter, so no pressing need to return home anytime soon after the hike, as long as my savings hold out.

Opinions? Personal experience?
Cheers, Navigator