[at-l] Crossing the Kennebec

"...Is fording dangerous?  Absotively and Posilutely. (but) ### It's less
dangerous than winter hiking,..."

Maybe. But I've winter backpacked annually since 1970. But I would not ford the
Kennebec. Why? I can control what happens in winter. I do those things I
reasonably can accomplish.

I know from much experience in crossing streams that I cannot ford the Kennebec
with reasonable safety. I know hundreds have done so safely. I've talked to many
of them. There almost universal response to my queries has been, "it was tougher
than I thought it would be."

Since I've had enough experience to know pretty much how tough it will be, I've
decided, like thousands of wise hikers before me, to forego that experience. In
this I'm in good company. Earl Shaffer has never forded the Kennebec -- or at
least he didn't on the two hikes I know something about.

However, I'm in no way opposed to others fording the Kennebec, though I would
remind again that with the new water releases designed to protect trout habitat,
fording is more difficult now than it used to be.

My recommendation, however, is that those who choose to ford wait until the
ferry man has left for his lunch break, or after he has left for the day,  so he
won't be inconvenienced with attempting a rescue should things go wrong.

 I will never carry a cell phone, because I think this should be a wild trail. I
 want to be responsible and suffer the consequences of my own mistakes.

 If it were my decision I would abandon all regulations aimed at protecting
hiker safety on mountains like Katahdin, Rainier and Denali. I would also
eliminate all rescue crews. If we choose to take risks we should also choose to
accept the consequences of those risks and not risk others as a result of our
choices.

 Weary