[at-l] Hitting the trail

I'll be signing off the list for a few days as I head into the woods.
Although I have been hanging around the mailing list and the Hanover
Gatherings since mid 1999, my AT mileage to date is a grand total of 3 -
that's right three.  Talk about wannabes.  If I were to respond to that post
on my hardest hike, it would be those 3 miles of the AT climbing out of
Franconia Notch up to Franconia Ridge.

Well, for the first time since my Boy Scout days, over 35 years ago, I will
be going into the woods for more than a single night.  My plan calls for 4
days and 3 nights.  I will be climbing Franconia Ridge again, only this time
from the south.  At that point, I stand to triple my AT mileage as I
ridgewalk the AT north and then east, before descending south through the
middle of the Pemigewasset Wilderness.

Two years ago, I was carrying a 48 pound pack, without food or water.  On
this trip, with clothing sufficient for 10 to 15 degrees F., 2 liters of
water, and 6 days worth of food, I weigh in at a svelte 42 pounds.  I'm
really going to have to do something about that cast iron fry pan. <G>  I'm
only planning 4 days for this 26 mile trek, but I am a realist and know how
my back can suddenly decide to quit, thus the extra rations.

This should be a real test of whether I will ever be able to succeed in a
through hike.  I actually don't anticipate problems with the walking, but the
bending involved in cooking, eating and living at ground level could create
problems.  For those interested, I just received my new hammock a full pound
and a half lighter than the one I sleep in at home, and will be using it on
this trip.   Wish me luck.

Snail Male  (Pete Wells)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece,
but to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out,
shouting "GERONIMO".

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---