[at-l] Re: Difficult hikes

In a message dated 10/16/01 8:21:19 AM Central Daylight Time, lvb@syclone.net
writes:

Me Too, if you mean NOC @ Wesser, and I did NOC to Fontana BUT that was until
I did a 3 1/2 day 30 miler in the Joyce Kilmer/Citco. One of the 5 mile
sections LIJ mentioned was the most difficult 5 miles I've done anywhere
period. And, we were going down they did it going up. We did do it in a hard
steady rain and there were about 50 falls between 6 of us due to the
steepness/boulders/Roadymud etc.
IMO the difficulty multiplier is the Wilderness Area trail philosophy of
minimum trail preparation and maintenance; the actual terrain isn't any
different from lots of places but the trail location and condition make it a
whole new game. It's glorified bushwhacking on steep Appalachian slopes.
It's a Great place to hike, just don't plan big mileage days if you go to the
4-5 thousand ft levels.
Plum'Crazy

multipart/alternative
  text/html