hip belt/load handling security... was Re: [at-l] Crossing the Kennebec

--- Jim and/or Ginny Owen <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com> wrote: And DO
> unfasten your pack belt - it's really dumb to lose your
> life just to hang onto the pack.

### Which means losing all that great load-handling ability -- and
concommitant security in balance -- that distinguish internal frames
from their external cousins and sold us all, so long ago. (BTW, if I
had a dollar for all the packs I own that do not have "quick release
buckles", I'd have... <counting, counting> a dollar.)

You can lose the pack (with a squeeze of a quick-release buckle) in a
fall lots easier than you can recover lost stability *without* a hip
belt *before* you fall. (And since we're on the subject...)
Personally, I find my stability greater and my ability to "shed load"
being quicker by losing one shoulder strap and keeping the hip belt
in place. It's shoulder straps that slow me up, but that might be
very subject to shoulder/suspension/carry weight combinations.

Hmmmmm. Don't think I said this well.

Monday,
Sloetoe

=====