[at-l] Crossing the Kennebec

"... no one bothered to mention the most practical way for those who believe
that  fording is the "traditional" (and most satisfying) way to do it.  And that
is to send your pack across with the canoe while you do the ford."

 Sorry. Jim's suggestion is no longer an option. If I remember right, MATC has
 voted to prohibit the sending of only packs across in the canoe because to do
 so simply encourages a dangerous practice.

 Steve Longley, the guy employed to ferry hikers in his canoe, requested the
 prohibition as I recall. He does a tough job for very little pay, made tougher
 by the periodic need to rescue forders who get into trouble.

 I'm writing from memory about a two minute discussion and vote in a meeting
 held months ago that involved a lot of complex matters, but I'll be genuinely
 surprised to learn that what I have reported is not true.

 A special danger in a 70 yard ford is the need to peer intently into swirling
 waters to find safe footing. The swirling waters tend to make many people
 dizzy. It happened to me once on the East Branch of the Pleasant River on a
 trail relocation scouting trip. The distance was only 15 yards or so, and the
 water not especially deep or powerful, but suddenly I had no control over my
 balance. Not good to happen on a blustery, chilly October day, with a multiple
 mile bushwhack to the nearest road, and me wearing cotton no less.

 Luckily others had the presence of mind to see what was happening. I was told
 to stop moving and to stop watching the water. In a moment or two balance
 returned.

Weary