Re[2]: [at-l] Kennebec river crossing

--- Ronald Moak <ronm@fallingwater.com> wrote:
> Robert writes >> There used to be a cable crossing on a creek north
> of Caratunk and south of Moxie Bald, but not on the river.

> For a picture of a hiker crossing the cable some 24 years ago.
> Check out http://www.fallingwater.com/at77/day011.html . It was
> still there in '97 when my son crossed it. Don't know if it's
> there today.  It was pretty scary at the time. In 97 I did the
> rock hop.
### I did the cables way back when, and like Ron's son, didn't think
much about it afterward. There was a similar (rope) dohickey this
summer at Black Brook Crossing on the LT (although all of 20-25')
that Chase and Mrs. Gorp and Rusty and Gumby and Pokey and I have all
done. (And actually, I recall a good number of them all along the AT
on my throughhike, back in the days before every bit of moisture from
Georgia to Maine was deemed a worthy bridge project on which to spend
club dollars and volunteer hours... No, I'm not bitter.)

### When planning the "cancelled" Y2000 hike, I was planning on
putting an inflatable air mattress in the Stratton food drop, and
floating us [4] across, a'la Colin Fletcher/Grand Canyon. (This would
still be what I would plan now, were that an issue...) Cuz back in
'79, having grown up navigating the Housatonic/etc. in waters up to
my armpits, casting a fly *well* after dark ... well, to be scraping
bottom in an aluminuminuminum row boat *all*the*way* across the
Kennebec, at 10:30 or 11:00 in the morning [well after the evening
"low" had gone] was pretty, well, humiliating.

### Is wading scary? I'm sure. [I'd be scared now.] Dangerous? Nah.
Elsewise, just for example, we'd have to pull every fisherman out of
the water who's ever been tempted to don hip boots or chest waders.
That's not gonna happen anytime soon.

May your powder, martinis, flies and humor all be dry,
Sloetoe

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!